October 22, 2011

PERSEUS IS HOT!

Full of hot young stars that is. Tonight I had a pleasant time observing them all. I went out, looked up and the stunning view knocked me out. How can I find the right word to even to begin to describe the stunning view of Perseus, Pleiades, Pegasus, Cassiopeia and the planet Jupiter? How about wonderful, impressive and thrilling.

Right now it is getting chilly at 48* and I bundled up to enjoy some familiar deep sky sights. I'm touring with my  12 inch dobsonian, 25mm lens and 2x barlow lens. Jupiter is electric out there! That planet is getting a little bigger and every feature on it is very well seen and the moons are nice to observe. WOW What a sky! What a sight! I began by looking at Jupiter then going to my favorite part of Perseus which is the Mirfak area. I never get tired of exploring this awesome part of the milky way. It is so rich with young blue stars, a spectacular sight in my scope.

Then I poked around the Pleiades, my barlow lens brings out the nebulosity around Merope and other stars in really nice detail. I then aimlessly wandered around Triangulum, stopping at  the galaxy known as m33  and some of the galaxies around  Andromeda. Each site is so bright this time of year, really worth it going out in the chilly night, even for just a little while.

Check out this nice page on Triangulum, I printed it out and used it as my guide tonight and observed everything on it with my scope. It is very worth it to check out all the deep sky goodies in this not so well known and often overlooked area. Last week I scoured it with my binoculars.

Even though the weather is changing to the unwelcomed by stargazers and die hard observers  uncomfortable cold is returning for four months, it's worth it to pop out, take a few peeks and stay connected  to your deep sky hunting!  :)

13 comments:

Joe said...

Re: Even though the weather is changing to the unwelcomed by stargazers and die hard observers uncomfortable cold is returning for four months, it's worth it to pop out, take a few peeks and stay connected to your deep sky hunting! :)

Yes I plan on doing that! Trouble is your passion wants to keep going but the freezing scope and eyepiece your touching is hard on your hands, frozen hands!!

Nice words describing your view, I popped out tonight.. printing your page you linked us to and going out for more.

The triangulum area is a fave of mine!

Anonymous said...

your blog , the entire blog is an enjoyment to visit!

Bob said...

you say: the unwelcomed by stargazers and die hard observers uncomfortable cold

I say: YEAAAH GOOD ONE!!!

Grafton Street said...

jupiter is a great planet to explore this week , so huge in the sky right now!

Sidewalk Universe said...

Hey NSG thanks for mentioning the Mirfak region of Perseus! It is a stunner indeed! Consider this constellation also as a excellent double star hunting ground as there are many in Perseus awaiting Story & Ambrosia's mirrors!

Which comet was it .....McNaught? that passed this region of sky and skirted the fringes of this young hot star region a few years back? Now that was a sight to remember!

Nice to see you and Ambrosia (your photon collector) out and about touring the universe even in the chill. I love the chill along with the dry air, fall sky over head and winter sky in the east! The stuff of memories!

Lava Kafle said...

god bless its true god looking at us from heaven

Matt Z said...

It sounds like you have been REALLY enjoying the tail end of summer with your observing!

NiteSkyGirl said...

I have!!

Cloe said...

I heard Glenn Chaple reads your blog! I wonder why he doesn't comment on any of the amazing stuff you talk about, he has experiences in deep sky!

Barry said...

He doesn't have too :)

Some just like reading pages on the web.

Zack said...

I would love to see him commenting, his insight and experiences! :) :)

NiteSkyGirl said...

Wow guys, hilarious!! I do not know what to say except wow guys lol.

Morgan F said...

re: 12 inch dobsonian, 25mm lens and 2x barlow lens

Watch out objects of the night sky this night sky observer knows how to find you!!

One of my favorite parts of the sky is Mirfak, always stops my heart, steals my sight and takes my breath away.

Triangulum is an often missed area but it is a must for anyone's observing list if they love a good galaxy to explore, M33 is a great sight.